Friday, March 25, 2011

Chocolate and all the good stuff...

Each year, as Lent approaches do you find yourself in a quandary? Whatever shall I "give up" this year? Will it be chocolate? Will it be soft drinks? Will it be eating out? I have not conducted a scientific poll but I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the people who choose to "give up" something choose food. Why? Is it really sacrificial? Or do you hope to accomplish more than just feeling good about giving something up and perhaps drop a couple of pounds along the way?

Does giving up food bring me closer to God? Ideally each time you would think about eating or drinking whatever you've chosen you would instead use this time to draw closer to God through prayer or meditation or scripture reading. Does it happen that way? Or do you, like me, obsess about it? Or even worse, pat myself on the back because I've made it one more day?

Another question. When Lent is over, do you go back to the same habits you had before? Do you feel you've earned it because of your sacrifice of 40 days without chocolate?

I am not belittling those who have chosen to give up food or drink...but some kind of conversion should take place during Lent. A change in the way I live my life. It may not be a huge change (after all, Spiritual practices may take years to mature), but there should be something different. It should be something that will continue to grow through the rest of your life.

This year I've decided to eat my usual diet including all those indulgent things I love and instead "add" something. I've chosen to read a book or two, specifically chosen because of where I am in my faith walk and where I feel God is leading me. It is my prayer that He will speak to me through these "words" and help me look a little more like Jesus each day of my life.

No comments: