Monday, March 14, 2011

Prayer during Lent

One of the Spiritual Practices emphasized during Lent is prayer...because of this and because of how this practice has impacted my life, I thought I might offer a few "tools of the trade" if you will...

1.
When you're trapped at your desk during the day...make a quick visit to Sacred Space. It can last as long as you'd like (or as little as 5 to 10 minutes). The Jesuits of Ireland have created a really wonderful place in cyberspace.

2.
The "Jesus Prayer"...while beads are not necessary, I find them very useful. I made the particular set I use (this is just a random picture, choose any beads you like): a piece of string or yarn...14 small beads and then 1 larger bead x 3 then add 14 small beads and one small cross (1.5")(again, just an example)
...tie together and Voila! Prayer beads! For each of the small beads repeat, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner", for each of the larger beads, repeat the Lord's Prayer. When you have worked your way around to the cross, repeat the Apostle's Creed. I find the Jesus Prayer most helpful in times of distress when I can think of nothing to pray or at the beginning of my prayer time as an exercise to quiet my mind and center my heart.

3.
If you can find no other time to do so (or in addition to other times), pray in your car. Turn off your radio and spend time in your very own sacred space. Now, those you pass may wonder what you're doing, but let them wonder. At the start of your day, or on the way home, this can change your focus and bring you peace and contentment...especially if you get stuck in traffic!

No comments: