Saturday, March 5, 2011

A lesson while driving...

Have you noticed you may take vacations from work and home but you can never take a vacation from God? Once, while traveling home from Charleston, SC , I was driving in the center lane. There were several signs that the right lane was ending. I noticed a car over there but didn't really pay attention. After all, it's their responsibility to merge, right? Needless to say, they continued on in the right lane until it ended and then proceeded over into mine. Fortunately, I had not completely dismissed them but did have to slam on my brakes to avoid an accident. God's hand was seen as the car behind me was not tailgating and was able to slow down and not hit me in the back. To say I was livid is an understatement. My poor Hubby had to listen to me fuss for the next 10 minutes. I won't repeat what I said but suffice to
say, I exhausted my self righteous indignation!

An hour or so later, it was my turn. Traveling in the left lane, I turned on my blinker to merge right and continue on with the slower traffic. Even though I thought the lane was open, it wasn't. Thanks to some quick thinking (and their horn!), the other car let me know they were there. There wasn't an
accident but I was severely embarrassed. I then said a prayer of thanks for avoiding an accident and for the driver of the other vehicle. But wait, I wonder if their response toward me was the same as I had toward the earlier driver? It was deserved...it was then I realized I had been very unfair toward them. The first driver didn't know what I had said, but I did.

Don't you just hate it when you get to feeling all high and mighty only to be brought back to reality? I don't really hate it, I am thankful that He continuously teaches us and uses opportunities when nothing is lost except a little pride. I once received a gift that said "Dear Lord, please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!". Ah, humbleness! Guess I need to pray that one a little more often.

No comments: