Wednesday, May 18, 2011


Icons have been part of Christian tradition for centuries. Rather than letting our imagination race ahead to form the words for the next part of our prayer, they add focus. Rather than heads bowed and eyes closed, our heads are raised and our eyes focus on the visual reminder of God's love. This type of prayer allows us to ponder our faith and our God. We search the icon for an understanding of Who God is for us and what His plan is for our life.

I asked my daughter for a copy of the Icon shown above for my birthday a couple of years ago. I didn't know why for sure. All I knew was that I had been reading about them and felt a real connection to this one in particular. Over time it's relevance and significance has grown and it has become a treasured part of my prayer life.

Icons are painted in specific ways and the creator follows very specific customs. If you'd like more information about their creation or their use, there are many sites on the internet (see below). I would also recommend Henri Nouwen's book, "Praying with Icons". Keep in mind, they are not painted as art but for the church and are to be used as a tool in our spiritual journey.

You can find more information at The Upper Room or other places on the internet.

No comments: