Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My opinion....

I have put off responding to the death of Osama bin Laden simply because I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Of course, I was pleased that the world no longer contained the one face that made each of us recall the terror, anger and sadness of 9/11. But I could not bring myself to celebrate in the fashion of so many others. I am not judging their outpouring of jubilation...each is free to react in their own way.

But rather than celebrating death, isn't it more satisfying to know that American arms and intelligence have triumphed in a contest with our enemies? Even though it has taken much longer than any one of us would have liked or expected, we have at last rid the world of al-Qaeda's most valuable figurehead. Seal Team 6 performed their duties quickly and effectively. Have you noticed that those who were on the front lines, who jumped into harms way to do their duty and accomplish their mission, are keeping well hidden from the glare of the camera? They refuse our praise and adulation. If you could ask any one of them, they would tell you that it's all in a day's work. This is what they have sacrificed and trained for...to defend freedom at a moment's notice.

While I realize it has probably been a long time since bin Laden has been the real leader, the fact that he has been able to survive for so long has been extraordinarily symbolic to his followers. But, when the time came and his location pinpointed, he and his followers succumbed after a very brief struggle. His last stand cannot be used to glorify him or serve him as a martyr. .

I am also pleased to know that we do not have to struggle with the myriad of issues that would have presented themselves if he had been captured alive. Where would we try him? What prison would hold him? Would his ultimate death be televised and thus used to inspire countless others? The fact that he died without the glare of television crews and was buried quietly in the sea, which does not give up her dead, made handling the situation simpler and easier. Some may try to argue that the military should not be judge, jury and executioner but he was tried in the court of world opinion almost ten years ago...his fate was sealed at that point.

I am no where near perfect and cannot say that I am right...it's just the way I see it.

No comments: