Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Positive / Negative

Suppose, during the course of the day, you received 25 compliments. Suppose, during that same day, you received 1 insult. Which would you listen to? If you're like me, it would be the 1 insult. I know, I know...I have the unbelievable ability to drown out all the positives with one negative. I allow it to take over my thoughts.

Someone once told me that it's just easier to believe the bad stuff...and it is...but why? Why would we feel that the one person who insulted us knows so much more than the 25? Do we believe they're smarter? Do they know me better? Probably not...

I have the innate ability (it truly is built into my genes) to totally forget the opinions of those who know me, love me, appreciate me. I manage to convince myself that even if the positive speakers are experts, everyone makes mistakes. Or maybe they're just saying these things to be nice.

I buy into the lie. The person who gives the negative opinion is not infallible. They're human. Their opinion isn't more grounded or well thought out that the other 25...it's just what it is...an opinion. But because it's so easy for me to believe the negative, I give them the power to wound me.

What if I choose to listen to the positive instead? What if I listened to the 25 good opinions as if they were messages from God? What if I allowed these words to wash over me and surround me with love...edify me...strengthen me? I can only believe that this would have a positive effect and so that is my quest. Take each opinion for what it is and go forward. I vow not to allow the negative to rule my life any longer. How about you?

No comments: