Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Impulsive...

We humans are impulsive creatures. We tend to want to react immediately even when we would be better served to think things through. I have found that if I follow my grandmother's wisdom (to sleep on any major decision) I rarely regret it. Taking the time to research the issue and consult everyone involved has kept me from looking foolish more often than not.

How many times have you taken things personally only to find out later that they weren't meant that way at all? I'd rather not tell you how often my arrogance has gotten in the way and perhaps even made me loose a friend. The older I get the more I realize the world does NOT revolve around me.

There are times when I don't have the luxury of time and must react or make a decision quickly. Those times cannot be helped. But, even then, if I take a moment to remind myself that others involved have used their best judgment and are not on the other "side" just to hurt me, we generally come to the best conclusion for everyone involved. What a sad, dull world it would be if we didn't learn and grow from the ideas of others.

No comments: